The American Romanian Festival Events Schedule
We look forward to seeing you soon!
- This event has passed.
Compositions by Crumb & Țăranu Concert
September 25, 2011 / 4:00 pm–6:00 pm
Sunday, September 25, 2011, 4:00 p.m.
Kerrytown Concert House
415 N. 4th Avenue, Ann Arbor, MI
This concert will open the 2011-2012 American Romanian Festival concert season. Visiting Romanian Composer Cornel Țăranu will participate in the performance of his work. University of Michigan Piano Professor and American Romanian Festival Artistic Director Logan Skelton will hold a short talk about George Crumb and the works to be performed.
Cornel Țăranu, piano + visiting composer
Laurence Liberson, clarinet
Jennifer Goltz, soprano
Logan Skelton, piano
Marian Tănău, violin
Laura Roelofs, violin
Jim VanValkenburg, viola
Judith Vander Weg, cello
Robert Conway piano
Jennifer Goltz, soprano • Logan Skelton, piano
Cornel ȚăranuBlues from Siciliana Blues (Red Apples Movie)(1934)
Cornel Țăranu, piano
Laurence Liberson, clarinet • Robert Conway piano • Marian Tănău, violin
Laura Roelofs, violin • Jim VanValkenburg, viola • Judith Vander Weg, cello
– INTERMISSION –
Black Angels String Quartet
1. THRENODY I: Night of the Electric Insect,
2. Sounds of Bones and Flutes
3. Lost Bells
5. Danse Macabre (Duo alternativo: Dies Irae)
6. Pavan Lachrymae (Der Tod und das Mädchen)
7. THRENODY II: BALCK ANGELS!
8. Sarabanda de la Muerte Oscura (Solo obligato: Insect Sounds)
9. Lost Bells (Echo) (Duo alaternativo: Sounds of bones and flutes)
10. [Solo: Aria accompagnata] God-music
11. Ancient Voices
12. Ancient Voices (Echo)
13. THRENODY III: Night of the Electric Insects
Marian Tănău, violin • Laura Roelofs, violin
Jim VanValkenburg, viola • Judith Vander Weg, cello
This concert is sponsored by Michigan Arts Council and Cultural Affairs, the National Endowment for the Arts, Wayne State University Department of Music, and the Mărășești Society.