The American Romanian Festival Events Schedule
We look forward to seeing you soon!
- This event has passed.
Black Angels and Music by Ţăranu, Chamber Concert at Wayne State University, September 30, 2016
September 30, 2016 / 11:45 am–1:45 pmFree
Black Angels and Music by Ţăranu
Chamber Music Concert
Saturday, September 30, 2016, 11:45 a.m.
Schaver Recital Hall, Wayne State University, 480 W. Hancock St., Detroit, MI 48201
The American Romanian Festival Inc. is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to foster mutual understanding and promote American and Eastern European music and culture. A specific focus of the festival is to encourage cultural awareness and understanding between people of culture, musicians, and artists of the United States and Romania. The festival organizes educational, cultural, and artistic events which take place in Romania and the USA. Founded in 2005, the organization supports cultural exchanges with Americans participating in events in Romania and Romanians participating in events in the USA.
The events planned by the American Romanian Festival Inc. this season will commence with a Student Composers Seminar on September 28 and a chamber music concert on September 30 at Wayne State University, Department of Music in Detroit. This year’s festival guest is Cornel Ţăranu who will hold workshops, lectures, and master classes as well as conduct one of his works. The festival will continue with three more chamber music concerts (October 2, October 6, and October 23) and the 7th Annual Romanian Film Series at the University of Michigan Museum of Art on November 6 and November 13.
George Crumb (b. 1929)
“Black Angels” String Quartet (1970)
1. THRENODY I: Night of the Electric Insects,
2. Sounds of Bones and Flutes
3. Lost Bells
5. Danse Macabre (Duo alternativo: Dies Irae)
6. Pavana Lachrymae (Der Tod und das Mädchen) (Solo obbligato: Insect Sounds)
7. THRENODY II: BLACK ANGELS!
8. Sarabanda de la Muerte Oscura (Solo obbligato: Insect Sounds)
9. Lost Bells (Echo) (Duo alternativo: Sounds of Bones and Flutes)
10. [Solo: Aria accompagnata] God-music
11. Ancient Voices
12. Ancient Voices (Echo)
13. THRENODY III: Night of the Electric Insects